Cryotherapy can reduce swelling, which is tied to pain. It may also reduce sensitivity to pain. Cryotherapy may be particularly effective when you are managing pain with swelling, especially around a joint or tendon. Cryotherapy can be applied in various ways, including icepacks, coolant sprays, ice massage, and whirlpools, or ice baths.
Cryotherapy for pain relief may be used for:
- Runner’s knee
- Arthritis pain
- Pain and swelling after a hip or knee replacement
- To treat pain or swelling under a cast or a splint
- Lower back pain
The benefits of applying ice include:
- It lowers your skin temperature.
- It reduces the nerve activity.
- It reduces pain and swelling.